« Home | oak hill flyer: pennsylvania (camp 1 of 5) » | oak hill flyer: base camp » | oak hill flyer: a day at the races » | oak hill flyer: ms150 pictures » | oak hill flyer: ms131 » | oak hill flyer: spring broke » | oak hill flyer: mile PR » | oak hill flyer: marching onward » | oak hill flyer: captain's log » | oak hill flyer: out of the rain »

oak hill flyer: going to california (camp 2 of 5)


After a successful peak week at camp 1, my expectations were high for a strong camp 2. This peak week was scheduled with an eight day vacation to northern california afterwards, a perfect way to rest after a high load.

Well, camp 2 can be summed up in one word: sinusitis. 24 hours before my 90-mile bike ride, I could barely get out of bed. Priorities shifted to just ensuring I felt better by the time we got to SF. All plans for swimming were scrapped, and a trip to the doc was booked.

As I stand here in line at SFO, I'm glad to say that I feel 95% better. The doc put me on methoprednisolone, which made my mid-week workouts feel REALLY good (is this stuff legal?). I found a way to get 100 total miles on the bike this week, which isn't bad at all (commence star trek season 3!).

For the first time in 8+ months, I did the 10 mile dam loop on town lake. So very sweet to complete once what I was doing 3x/week last summer. With Tuesday being the 1 year anniversary of my knee injury, I'm really happy with where me and my knee are right now.

No swimming for the past week (sinuses), but for the first time ever, I have packed a wetsuit in my luggage. k and I plan to do some bay swimming while we are here. 55-degree salt water, I am CRAZY excited about this. The novelty of the fact that I actually know how to swim hasn't worn off since that night swim in 2007, and I don't forsee it wearing off anytime this year, if not decade.