oak hill flyer: mile PR

The past two months in the pool, all I've been doing is working on form. On Friday, I thought I'd return to Stacy and give the mile a shot.
Here's the kicker: I signed up for the 63-mile Pedal thru the Pines the next morning. The whole swim I knew I had to leave a LOT in the tank, lest I be roadkill the next morning. I was never more than 60% max exertion the whole time. I got out of the pool and walked away as if I just did an average workout. Total Immersion is seemingly paying off in spades.
My last PR (Deep Eddy Mile 2009), I hit the final wall and thought I was going to die. Not the case this weekend.
Ever notice the symmetry between the 26.5 round-trips you need to swim a mile and the 26.2 miles needed to run a marathon? I always thought I could come up with some good mnemonic to count laps based on that, but never have. I found a better system though: the alphabet in fruits and vegetables. At the end of every trip you're "rewarded" with that fruit/veggie as if you were pac-man. My alphabet wasn't perfect (D? Donuts. K? Ketchup. Q was just an image of Cookie Monster eating the letter Q, etc. ), but I was amazed that I knew exactly where I was in the swim without any outside assistance.

Post a Comment