« Home | double yellow » | bluebonnet » | legs beneath » | gifts » | quote of the day » | fatuous guilt » | locus » | stage five »

beantown

those who know me have probably heard me say on occassion that in a different lifetime, i'm pretty sure that i'm from boston. i had the pleasure of running the marathon in 2000, i lived in southern NH for a summer in '96, and have been a dyed-in-the-wool sox fan since i was 10 (i write this on the heels of listening to the conclusion of the orioles matchup, where boston pitching and fielding collapsed in the top of the 11th).

and for someone like myself, the upcoming (call it "3-day") weekend is a magical one this year. not only will monday be the running of boston 108, but this friday marks the true beginning of the baseball season, for new york visits boston for the first series between the two teams of the year.

some might say that i'm fanatical about this weekend.

in feelings of longing that developed for the town during my listening to the game here in the heart of texas, i decided to hop online and start tooling around, visiting whatever my search engine of choice would pull for me along the lines of the marathon and the upcoming weekend.

i stumble upon an online marketplace. i'm fanatical? oh, allow me to argue the contrary. patriots' day weekend seems to bring out the best in some sellers across the country. certainly, there was copious amounts of standard online auction fare: jackets, t-shirts, posters, books signed by the likes of kelley, rodgers, beardsley, etc. however, allow me to present some samplings of the commerce i came across, for your beantown weekend perusal:


  • 1970'S BAA "Boston Marathon" Game Complete (current bid at time of writing: $11.50)

    This is a wonderful 1970's BAA Pearl Products "The Official Boston Marathon" game in very nice condition complete in the opened box. It would be a great addition to your collection. Thanx and Good Luck!!

    A board game. About running. From the 70s. Don't get me wrong, I love running, but I can only imagine to the lay person that this game would appear to have the equivalent recreactional potential of "Hands Across America: The Home Version."

    How does it play? First person to advance 30,000 spaces wins? What do the cards read? "Runner's diarreha kicks in at the firehouse right. Lose 2 turns." "Chafing! Remain on square until Petroleum Jelly card is drawn or doubles are rolled." Who can possibly figure out how to fold the 18 inch x 26 mile board back up once you're done playing?

  • 2004 Boston Marathon Medal (asking: $149.00)

    Well it appears that I have some competition. Somebody else is listing their medal. Now that I've lost my monopoly I must do something to make this medal move. [J]ust like the other guy - I will call you from my cell phone after I cross the finish line.
    This is for a 2004 Boston Marathon Medal. That is this year's marathon. I obviously don't have the medal yet. I will have it at 6:00 pm on April 19th. I am trying to recoup some of my expenses (travel, registration, etc.) If you win this auction I will meet you any where near the finish line and hand you the medal.


    Date of post: 11 Apr 04. For those of you not keeping score at home, that date is 8 days before the running of the 2004 marathon. Talk about faith-in-seller... this medal might not even have rolled off of the mint yet! Sure, I'm going to cut you a a check for 150 clams for an item that you don't even have yet, nevermind the fact that there's no guarantee you'll ever have it. And if that time comes where you fail to obtain *my* medal, I'm going to be stood up in Copley Square, and you're going to be in the back of some paddywagon on your way to Mass General. At least you'll have a means to make your copay!

    And what if the transaction occurs at the finish line? I can see some BAA volunteer, handing out medals to the weary and battleworn, catch out of the corner of her eye the fella she just greeted at the finish line five minutes ago getting cold dough for what she has 100 of draped around her forearm! She jumps the crowd fence and after 30 minutes up-and-down Boylston, pays for her first two years of college.

  • Yankees@Sox Green Monster Tix Marathon Monday (asking price: $1299.99)

    That's at the reduced price of less than 9 2004 BAA Marathon finishers medals!

  • Worn in 1990 Boston Marathon Reebok Sole Trainer 5000 (asking price: $9.99)

    I wore these Rebook Sole Trainer 5000's when I set my PR of 2:48 at the 1990 Boston Marathon. No insoles Size 9.

    He makes no guarantee that these magical shoes will also allow you to crack 2:48 at Boston as well; buyer beware with this misleading seller.

    I must say that this is one of the few items that I have ever seen on this site where there was great pride in posting photos of the product for sale that clearly illustrated the near-miserable condition the product was in. Fader uppers. Worn soles. Browned shoelaces. A face only a mother would love, if you will.

    Forget the medal. This is what I would want to buy off of someone the moment they crossed the finish line. Or if anything, at least ask runners what they would accept for their wheels the moment that they achieved Boston glory. $9.99? $149? $1299.99?

    There's only one reasonable answer that I could imagine any runner responding with: "They're not for sale. Non-negotiable."

    Well, at least for the next 14 years.

    Godspeed and congratulations to all of BAA 108. And don't you dare outbid me for that board game.